Thousands of women, mostly underage, are forced into marriage in Germany every year. The German family minister Kristina Schröder (CDU) and the Integration official Maria Böhmer (CDU) announced they will present a study today, Nov. 9th.
The numbers derive from counting women that actively sought help at government counseling centers. We expect that there would not be many false complaints, but a large percentage of unreported cases.
In the year 2008, 3443 women sought help at counseling centers, because they were under the threat of forced marriage or actually forced to marry.
The casualty figures are much higher than previous estimates: The NGO Terre des Femmes was previously assumed, turn that in Germany every year more than a thousand women and girls from immigrant families go to counseling because of forced marriages.
For the new comprehensive study 1445 counseling centers were contacted. 830 of them reported back. The results also shed light on origin, age and history of the victims. Thus, every third person concerned in connection with the forced marriage is threatened with death. The vast majority of victims of forced marriages are from Muslim parents’ homes – 83.4 percent. According to the "Süddeutsche Zeitung" nearly two-thirds of the recorded cases are from families characterized as very religious.
Almost all concerned come from immigrant families, but a third of girls and women who were forced into a marriage were born in Germany [probably to immigrant families (human-stupidity]) according to the survey. 23 percent were born in Turkey. Turkey was the most frequent country of origin, followed by Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Iraq.
Thousands of migrants are forced into marriage every year (Google translation)
- We recognize that this is a very serious issue of civil liberty that warrants attention.
- Young women and girls being forced by their own family and their entire support network is an extreme threat. Please read the quotations and original articles below and on the picture links.
- Human-Stupidity’s subsequent focus on unpopular and ignored side issues does not mean that we don’t recognize the seriousness of violently forced marriages.
- we suspect for every reported case, there probably are huge numbers of cases where marriages happen just by mild parental pressure and nobody ever complaints.
- Of course, this is very problematic, we do not support such action.
- But in our traditional position as Devil’s advocate who wants to instigate out-of-the-box thinking, we could question if such marriages could not be happy. Maybe parents’ mate choices are more mature then 17 year old girls’ choices?
- Of course, we absolutely do not support death threats and severe physical violence. And we are aware that knowledge of this violence might scare many girls into voluntary compliance.
- No, Human-Stupidity does NOT support forced marriages
- we fear that a woman can, 50 years after the wedding, accuse her husband of forced marriage, just to get out of an unhappy relationship. The victimized man would be jailed, without due process, due to the pervasive doctrine "women don’t lie". While we believe that women nowadays don’t lie (well, rarely lie) about forced marriage, we expect such numbers to increase, once women get guaranteed benefits from false accusations (see the false rape society).