BBC) — A Belgian man serving a life sentence for rape and murder will be allowed to have doctors end his life, after a landmark ruling.
Unable to control his violent sexual urges, Frank Van Den Bleeken, who is 50, argued he would never be freed.
The decision follows a three-year legal battle by the prisoner, who was convicted in the 1980s.
The ruling is the first involving a prisoner since the assisted dying law was introduced in Belgium 12 years ago.
Van Den Bleeken will soon be transferred to a hospital where the medical procedure will take place, his lawyers told reporters.
"But I cannot say when or where that will happen," Jos Vander Velpen added. [read more at BBC News, Reddit comments]
- Child rapist raped, stitched by medics, and re-raped by 20 prisoners was our most successful post ever, with half a million visitors and 50 000 likes on facebook. Certainly it is more humane to allow a sex offender to commit suicide then to suffer tacitly condoned daily anal gang rape with HIV infection.
- Stop Prison Rape! Legalize Corporal Punishment (Whipping) Of course, one might think that forcing the felon to live to his last breath is a deserved punishment.
- Dogs, horses, animals in general have a right to mercy killing. Only humans must suffer to the last breath. If an animal was left to die like terminally ill humans, the humane society would rightfully sue.
- Only killers on death row have right to quick painless death. Quadriplegics and cancer patients have no right to assisted suicide to shorten months of slow dying
Of course, there are issues of victimless crime, *consensual *rape, people left to die in prison for groping adolescents in the 1970ies, or life in prison for possession of photos. Should these be allowed to die?
- Supreme Court oks indefinite detention for possession of photos. But violent robbers get freed. Should he be allowed suicide? Or should he be freed for his victimless crime (see voodoo theory)
- Dangerous pedophile hunters threaten harmless pedophile (Jack McClellan)
- "To Catch a Predator" witch hunt by NBC Dateline & "Perverted Justice
- YouTube Spoof of "Catch a Predator": Absurdity of Underage Sex Entrapment
- "Child Porn" Witch Hunt: Insane Laws
- "The Hunt": false accusation of child sexual abuse. A movie review